Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Let Them Play

Last night as I was officiating I was again reminded of the words said years ago by an official I highly respect. 'If you're unsure, let them play.' What exactly does this means in terms of officiating? Well, if you are unsure whether something is a fault then give the players the benefit of the doubt and let play continue.
This is applicable when it is a tight call. If a girl looks like she might have barely stepped on the service line but your line judge is not calling a fault, let play continue. If you think that the ball might have broken the plane when the opposing team attacked the ball, don't call interference.
Last night, both sides who were playing had very young, inexperienced setters. Their hands were not the prettiest. If I called the game as tight as I usually do for ball handling, then I would have been calling an illegal contact or a lift every three rallies. The officials aren't the ones playing the game and they shouldn't be constantly ending volleys. The players should be the ones who decide plays with either a clear error or a clear point. Officials should be there to set the speed of the game and to make things efficient and fair.
My rule of thumb, as long as the calls are even on both sides, an official is doing a fair job on ball handling. It is one of the most difficult calls to make due to the sheer amount of judgement involved. There can be little consistency between officials when it comes to the level at which ball handling is called. Some expect perfect sets at all times whereas others won't call any ball handling.
When I officiate I do try my best to be fair, but we aren't all perfect. And just like players, officials have their off games where it feels like we can't do anything right.
A word to coaches: you don't have to holler at the official to alert them to a ball handling error. Believe me, we are watching and we don't listen to you because it isn't your call. We also might have set a different standard than you have. Focus on your players and improve their setting before you worry about the other team. I'm in support of you fighting for your team, but yelling at the official is not the way to do it.
Good luck this week in the first week of match play for WIAA and please, be kind to your officials.

No comments:

Post a Comment