Friday, October 9, 2015

Easy Breakfasts that Last Until Practice




A few posts ago I mentioned that many high school athletes aren’t taking the time to eat breakfast in the morning. With that in mind, I wanted to do a post that included easy breakfasts that are quick to make and quick to eat that have enough protein to last through the day. Toaster waffles aren’t going to do it anymore. The three recipes I’ve included are all ones that I eat on a regular basis and I quite enjoy. Have fun making your own variations.

Microwave egg sandwich:
Ingredients:
1 egg
Spinach
Sliced Mushrooms
English muffin
1 Slice Cheddar Cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste

Take a microwave safe mug and coat the inside with nonstick cooking spray. Crack your egg in the mug. You can either mix the egg with a fork or leave it as is. Mix in some spinach and sliced mushrooms. Add salt and pepper to taste. Microwave on high for 45 seconds. If the white is still runny, continue to microwave for 10 seconds intervals until the egg is finished cooking.
Toast your English muffin. Take your microwaved egg out of the mug and place it on a muffin and top with a slice of cheese.
I personally add a little bit of ketchup to it at this stage and then eat it but that part is up to you.

Oatmeal with peanut butter:
Ingredients:
2 cups water
1 cup quick oats
1 TBSP Dried Cranberries or Golden Raisins
1 TBSP Peanut Butter (Creamy or chunky, your preference)
1 TBSP Brown Sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Heat up 2 cups water to a boil on the stove or in the microwave. I have a kettle which I’ve found is the easiest. Prepare your bowl with all the ingredients, leave the water for last. Mix together and let sit for a minute or two and then enjoy.
There are many variations you can do with this one. I’ve added sliced apples and cinnamon instead of the craisins and vanilla and enjoy it just as much. You can also make oatmeal the night before in a Crockpot.

Banana, yogurt, fruit and nuts:
Ingredients:
1 Banana
1 Cup Greek Yogurt
1/3 cup blueberries
¼ cup sliced almonds

Slice the banana in half so that you have two long halves. Top with a cup of Greek yogurt or you could use some plain vanilla yogurt, personal preference here. Add the blueberries and almonds and enjoy.
The flavor of the Greek yogurt can take a bit of getting used to but I’ve found it keeps me satisfied longer than regular yogurt.
Some people enjoy making breakfast in the morning. I’m not one of those people. I like a lazy breakfast that I don’t have to worry about burning at 6 A.M. I’d love to hear what you have tried for quick breakfasts that keep you satisfied through the day. Also, check out my Pinterest Page, VolleyEat, to find more simple and healthy breakfast recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment